Total Pageviews

Monday, June 25, 2012

Hey Man, Who Cares

This past Friday I went into Boston to see the Red Sox play against the Atlanta Braves. I haven't been to a Red Sox game in a few years, I think the last one I went to was in the summer of 2009 and Brad Penny was pitching for the Red Sox. Needless to say, the Red Sox lost that one. Seeing them play the Braves was great because that's a team that doesn't come to Fenway very often. I got to see Dan Uggla and his huge biceps in person! Going into the city is always a welcome idea to me, the atmosphere is great and there is actually stuff going on at night. After soccer, baseball is my second favorite sport to follow so I'm decently aware of what's going on in the MLB, and in my opinion, one thing that is greatly missing from the league right now is the absence of Manny Ramirez. Yes, he's getting old and will most likely retire for good soon, but I always enjoyed Manny and his antics. In fact, I think everyone can learn something from Manny. While Manny was a wiseguy and didn't always get things done in a conventional way, he did his job and I think he enjoyed it. When something doesn't go your way, I think everyone should take it like Manny, "hey man, who cares."


Unfortunately not everything goes the way I would ideally like, but you have to shake it off. The Manny line I'm referring to (hey man, who cares) was what Manny said to a reporter following a playoff loss while he was on the Red Sox. The Red Sox went on to win the World Series that year. I had a job interview last Friday before the game. The interview went well and I liked the people that I spoke with during the interrogation (it wasn't really an interrogation). However, later on in the afternoon, while I was watching Germany open up a can of something on Greece in the Euro Cup, I was notified that I didn't get the job. So, hey man, who cares. On to the next. The whole thing was kind of funny actually. When I got the call they were telling me that everything went well and they had nothing bad to say about me, but I could tell by the tone where this was going. They don't need to sugar coat it or anything, just tell me. This whole getting a job thing makes me laugh when I think about it because I have trouble finding a job because I lack experience, but I lack experience because I can't get a job.

That news didn't ruin my day by any stretch, it was merely another event in my life with no fruition, I've gotten quite used to that lately. I will say that the weather was on my side and delayed the Red Sox game for about an hour, which is almost precisely when I got to Fenway Park. For every year, with the exception of one, since sophomore year of high school I have competed in a summer sports event in the state which I live (at least for now), Massachusetts. Of course I compete in the track and field portion of it and the qualifier happened to be that same Friday as the game. As I mentioned before, I'm not quite done with track yet, so of course I was going. The qualifier started at 5:30, though, close to the scheduled time of the Red Sox game, and I live about an hour away from Boston. But the weather was on my side and delayed the Red Sox game while I competed in the hurdles for the first time in about a month.



At this type of meet you never know how many competitors are going to show up. I was glad to see two other names on the hurdle sheet by the time I signed up, I knew I was actually going to get to race some people. In the end it turned out to be just me and the two other people, but I could deal with that. So I was warming up and minding my own business when a younger hurdler came over to talk to me. He had just finished his freshman year in high school and was asking me about the hurdles and my times. He asked me what I ran for times as a freshman in high school and I felt kind of bad telling him because in all honesty, his times weren't very good. But he did seem to like the event and I encouraged him to stick with it. Then this other hurdler in the same age division as me came over and started talking to us about the hurdles. This guy clearly thought he was the man. I could tell by the way he was talking that he thought he had a lock on winning the race. I'm not that good at the hurdles, but I do know that I can beat a lot of the people in my area of the state. To say the least, I was ecstatic to race this guy because he had no idea who I was. I watched him take a few runs at the hurdles and he wasn't bad, but I've seen much better. But he definitely thought he was going to win. I knew this would be a fun race.

The hurdles were set up and I set the blocks the way I like them. There were only four of us in total, three of us in the open division and the high schooler I had spoken to in the scholastic division, so we all ran at the same time. The guy who was talking like he was the man was in the lane to my left, perfect. The gun went off, and despite not getting the best start, I beat this clown to the first hurdle, immediately putting him under pressure far too intense for him to overcome. He came in second place by ended up winning by about a second, which is a ton of time in a 110 meter long race. Basically, I accomplished what I wanted, but I can definitely go faster. I actually felt a bit slow, probably because I've done absolutely zero speed work since leaving school. My hamstrings are kind of sore today though! I felt like I was back at a dual meet senior year of high school: I showed up, I raced, I dusted my opponents, and had a great time. Maybe at some point I'll make a post about all the things I really enjoy about track along with the things I don't like about the sport. I also should make a post about my senior year in high school track, so many great memories. In outdoor track senior year, I didn't lose an individual race until All-States, oh the nostalgia. What happened!

Anyways, that's what I did right before making the trip into Boston. The Red Sox did not win the game, but it was still enjoyable. The only thing that disgusted me happened when I was walking back to the car after the game was over. Just outside Fenway, some guy walking on the sidewalk very close to me was speaking and I overheard a few lines. He said "I don't know why Apple doesn't put a better GPS in the iPhone. It doesn't even give you turn-by-turn directions." Apparently the GPS that tells you where you are and shows you how to get to other destinations is not good enough for this guy. Also, I highly doubt he moves fast enough to need turn-by-turn directions, but I guess looking at the line that leads from the current position to the destination is far too hard to interpret. I've personally used the iPhone's GPS to find a theater in Boston and it worked wonderfully. I followed the line and I think that guy could, too. But hey man, who cares what that guy does.




If you noticed earlier in the post I mentioned that I live in Massachusetts, but I wrote at least for now. When I think about the future I don't think I want to stay in the northeast because the weather up here sucks. I very well might stay here, but I've contemplated moving somewhere where the weather is almost always nice, like San Diego. My sister went to USC (the University of Southern California) which I applied to as well, but I was too stupid to get in. I still could have gone to college in California because I did get accepted to a school out there, but obviously I did not end up choosing it. I've never regretted not going to that school out west, but I think I should have applied to more schools out that way because I really like warm weather and my family has lived in California before. College, from my experience, is kind of a luck of the draw. No one really knows what school will be a good fit for them, that's why people transfer (who would have guessed!). I thought about transferring after my freshman year of college, but in the end I think I was actually too lazy to really look into it. However, had I the knowledge I have now, I might have chosen to attend a different school for a college education. Not because the one I went to is bad or anything, it's a good school, but I wasn't particularly satisfied there. Mainly freshman and senior year come to mind, I spent many long months those two years not very happy, but I think I'll elaborate on that in a different post because this one would be long as shit if  I started ranting here. Rather, in this post I would like to look toward the future. What's next?

The first step is getting a job, which I'm making progress on, but I still don't know exactly what I want to do. After getting a job I want to save up some money so I can live on my own. Ideally this would be with some friends, too. Then I will begin to seriously contemplate relocating, hopefully out to the San Diego area! Actually maybe to some place between San Diego and L.A., there's something for everyone in that area I think. At this point I have nothing holding me back from any of this, so I'm in good shape. Just like JQ, I have no baggage, maybe the two of us can work something out, at some point of course. For now, it's simple, get a job.

This has nothing to do with anything I've written about in this post, but I think I'm about due for a rant. I haven't let loose on a hell-bent rampage in way too long. You know what really was a horrible side-effect of the advancement of technology with smart phones? The ability for people to access social networking sites from smart phones. I think that will be my next rant, a rant that is way overdue. I don't know where to go from here, so I'll go off in another completely random direction. I've never actually played any Resident Evil video games, but I think the creepy merchant dude should exist behind every cash register. Imagine every time you were about to purchase anything you heard that creepy voice saying "what are you buying, stranger?"




I hope everyone is having a good day, we shall meet again... or maybe not, but hey man, who cares?


No comments:

Post a Comment