Total Pageviews

Monday, April 29, 2013

Binge Thinking?

Over the past two weeks or so I have been burning through the show Heroes on Netflix. I just finished the first season yesterday and began watching season two later that night. The first season brought me much enjoyment and I'm hoping the second will do the same. I'm not completely sure, but in my estimation, I would say that this is the fastest I've made it through any season of any show. This got me thinking about the word "binge." Binge is a word defined as "a period or bout, usually brief, of excessive indulgence, as in eating, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc.; spree." by dictionary.com. Or you could use the #1 definition from urban dictionary: a period of time that you do alot (should be two words) drugs in and/or drink a lot (got it right the second time) of booze. Must be more than one day. I'm also going to point out that dictionary.com's wonderful usage of the word "bout." Anyway, I think "binge" is a word used too much, and why is it only used for indulgences? I think that's complete bullshit. Why? Because there are plenty of other things that people do in a binge manner, mainly work, that doesn't get a bad name for it. Yes, I understand that's probably part of capitalism, but wouldn't everyone like some more time for themselves spent away from work?


I'm not overwhelmed or overworked at work, at least not yet, but I would certainly like some more time to do whatever it is that I feel like doing. I could have finished the entire first season of Heroes in about 3 work days, but I couldn't because I was at work... sitting in my cubicle... looking at a computer screen... I'm sure doing that five days each week is wonderful for my health. And even though I did watch a whole season in about two weeks, I bet I still had way more physical activity than many people did in the same time period. Imagine if people drank alcohol for eight hours straight each day for five days a week? I don't want to know the answer to that question, but I do know what happens to people when they go to work and sit around for eight hours a day, five days a week. A lot of these people gain weight and become fat, especially in the United States. You know what I call that? Binge working.

Binge working is a result of the insatiable desire to make money, turn profits, and make money. I recently spent four years at a college geared toward business. I've heard more than my fair share of acronyms and other bullshit, but I've learned so much about business from Jack Donaghy, a Harvard business school graduate for the mere cost of Netflix, $7.99 per month. Before I go any further, I would like to point out that I am not an anarchist. What I would really like is some more free time. Do we really need to work for eight hours a day, five days a week? I think not. We could probably work a few hours less per day and a a day or two less each week and get about the same amount of work accomplished. I know that not all 40 hours in my work week are incredibly productive and I think we could all use some more time for fun!


People like to watch television, people like to play games, people like to do drugs, people like to drink alcohol, and people like to eat. I don't care how much or how long people do these activities, but the word "binge" should be all inclusive. Binge working is a part of mostly every person's life. I don't really know where I'm going with this anymore, but I'll be sure to crush this problem with my A.S.S.

With all this said, I must be one of the very small minority of people that enjoys life after college more than life in college. Sure I had more free time and got to run track in college, but I didn't like it all that much. There were some good times, but now I don't have to be surrounded by people that I would not choose to surround myself with. That right there is the biggest difference. Now I feel like I can choose who I see and avoid all the retards, something I could not control in school. I still speak with my friends who are in school and I've been back three times to visit this year. Each time I used my old ID, so that was worth keeping. I might be a part of the machine that is our workforce, but I like it better than at an institution where they want everyone to think alike, and I thank Mr. George Carlin for that one. Man was a genius.

Love this guy
Well, I'm done for now, but I will provide some foreshadowing for the next post. I've had a bunch of people ask me if I have a girlfriend in the past two months, what's with that? I might take on this topic in the next post, and maybe I'll even put it up in less than two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment